Prices of homes continue to rise significantly, with median home prices finally exceeding $400,000. The price of housing has been rising for eight years. If you are currently a homeowner in Albuquerque, you might have a significant amount of equity.
When does it make sense to use that equity and put it to work, particularly since interest rates remain low?
The Benefits of Using Equity Now
There are some economic factors outside of your personal situation that could make now a good time to use your home’s equity.
Currently, mortgage rates are historically low, making borrowing money cheap. You could end up taking equity out and then earning a lot more than you would pay in interest on a mortgage. The low mortgage rates and the ability to lock in your rate for an extended period may prevent your mortgage rates from increasing.
• Inflation is going up at near-record paces, and that makes the idea of fixed-rate debt pretty appealing. If you get a fixed-rate mortgage for 30 years, your payments will be cheaper in real dollars.
• When you have borrowed equity, the interest is tax-deductible, and it’s tax-free.
• By using your home equity, you’ll have liquidity, so you can take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
Are There Risks?
Some risks can come with taking the equity out of your home as well.
Taking on more debt is never a good idea if you already have a high debt-to-income ratio. You should avoid taking on new debt if your income is at risk.
How Do You Know Where to Invest?
You want to be earning more than your loan’s interest rate if you want to take equity out of your home. There are a lot of ways you can do this.
For example, you could invest in the stock market or a real estate investment trust (REIT).
Other financially wise ways to invest the equity in your home include:
• To secure a stronger financial future, you might consider tapping into your home’s equity to pay off high-interest-rate debt. For example, if you have a credit card with a 16% interest rate, and you get a loan with a 3.5% interest rate, you’re going to get yourself out of debt faster, and you’re going to reduce what you’re paying in interest significantly.
• Investing in real estate can be a smart way to use your home’s equity. For example, you might use the money from your home equity to then put a down payment on a rental property.
• Starting a business is a way to invest in your future, although it’s risky.
The goal, if you’re considering now as the optimal time to tap into your equity, is to invest in something that’s going to generate income. You want to pay back your loan with income so that you grow your wealth for the future.
HOT ALBUQUERQUE LISTING OF THE WEEK
521 ALBINO Road, Corrales, NM 87048
Majestic Custom Tuscan style home with over 3500 square feet, featuring an open & bright floorplan & thoughtful architectural & design details throughout! Grand foyer leads to stunning great room boasting a raised, beamed ceiling; floor to ceiling ‘stack’ stone fireplace; picture windows to enjoy the Sandia Mtn views; & surround sound extending out to covered patio. Gourmet kitchen graced w/beautiful cabinets & granite cntrs; high end SS appliances w/dbl ovens & 2 microwaves; oversized eat-at island; large pantry & sunny nook. Exquisite custom etched glass doors open o the formal dining room! Privately situated primary suite is a true retreat with its own east facing patio & spa like en suite.
Looking for the perfect home for sale in Albuquerque? Our easy-to-use home search tool can help you start the process. Join us twice a week on our blog for more real estate advice and great reasons to buy a home in Albuquerque and the surrounding area. Follow us on Facebook for the latest Albuquerque real estate updates.
Get your Morning Inspiration with the Sandi Pressley Team