Moving to a new home in Albuquerque may be one of the most exciting, but stressful, life events you’ll ever have to tackle. But in the chaos of cardboard boxes, packing tape and moving trucks, you might not realize how stressed your pets feel, too. How can you make the transition as safe and easy as possible for your furry friends?
Choosing a New Home in Albuquerque
Before you pick out your dream home, make sure your pet will love it just as much as you do. It’s a good idea to walk around the neighborhood to determine whether the area seems safe for your pets. Be on the lookout for neighborhood dogs that seem aggressive or are left unattended.
When it comes to square footage needs, cats and dogs differ:
- For your feline friends, ensure your potential new space allows for plenty of room to build vertically. It’s easy to create a lot of vertical space with shelving, such as kitty blocks on top of furniture.
- Consider your dog’s needs on a case-by-case basis. Older dogs, puppies and dogs with house training issues will need to go outside often, which might be difficult in an apartment building with lots of stairs or a house without a yard.
Packing Up Your Home
Cats aren’t big fans of change. You can help your cats (and skittish dogs) adjust to the moving process by bringing in moving boxes early, and by keeping your furry friends in a familiar room you plan to pack up last. On moving day, keep your pets in a quiet room with the door shut, or at a friend’s house. This will ensure that your cat or dog won’t get scared and try to make a quick getaway while the movers load up the truck. During the moving process, try to keep your pet’s routine as normal as possible.
Planning Your Road Trip
Many pets haven’t spent much time in crates or cars. In the weeks or months leading up to the big trip:
- Prepare your pets by gradually acclimating them to their crates. First, place their food inside an open crate, and eventually have them eat their meals in the crate with the door shut.
- Try carrying your pets around the house in the crate or taking a short drive.
- You can help your pets develop a positive association with the crate by providing treats and playtime at the conclusion of crate time.
Taking these steps will make moving day a lot more comfortable for you and your furry friends.
Pet-Proofing Your New Home
It is a good idea to pet-proof your new home. Tuck away electrical cords, plug up nooks where your pet could get stuck, make sure that all windows have secure screens, remove any poisonous houseplants and confirm that no pest-control poison traps have been left anywhere in the house.
When you arrive at your new home at the end of your long journey, it will be tempting to set your dog or cat loose in the house to explore. However, a new and unfamiliar space can be overwhelming to your pets.
- Start by allowing them to adjust to one room, their “home base”, which should include their favorite toys, treats, water and food bowls and litter box for cats.
- When they seem comfortable, gradually introduce them to other rooms in the house, while keeping some doors shut.
- You can relocate your cat’s litter box from the “home base” room to a more permanent location by moving it slowly over time. Try moving the litter box one foot forward each day.
With patience, your cat or dog will be king or queen of your new home in no time.
HOT ALBUQUERQUE LISTING OF THE WEEK
701 Secretariat Avenue SE, Albuquerque, NM 87123
Fantastic, 4 bedroom, Pulte home in serene Four Hills Neighborhood. Seller has added 108k worth of upgrades including: New Roof (2018), Remodeled primary suite (2017), Completely landscaped backyard with pergola, shed and fenced area perfect for dog run or playground (2018), New AC and Furnace(2021) just to name a few. Bright open floorplan with tons of natural light, formal dining room, and breakfast nook! Primary Suite has garden tub, large separate shower and huge walk in closet. Backyard is a dream with no maintenance turf, hot tub, pergola, fenced area and bubble drip system. This home is must see! Check out the sellers feature sheet for more upgrades!
Looking for the perfect home for sale in Albuquerque? Our easy-to-use home search tool can help you start the process. Join us twice a week on our blog for more real estate advice and great reasons to buy a home in Albuquerque and the surrounding area. Follow us on Facebook for the latest Albuquerque real estate updates.
Get your Morning Inspiration with the Sandi Pressley Team!