Halloween is always a fun and exciting time for everyone, especially our kids. And of course, we want to make sure they have a happy and fun time out on the streets of Albuquerque while they fill their bags with treats. But the real trick is to make sure they stay safe so they can cram all those goodies later.
Here’s a few tips to keep in mind to make sure your kids stay safe this Halloween:
On the Streets
- Put electronic devices down, keep heads up and walk, don’t run, across the street.
- Teach children to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to
the left as possible.
- Walk on direct routes with the fewest street crossings.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Join kids under age 12 for trick-or-treating. If kids are mature enough to be out without supervision, tell them to stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors.
- Choose face paint and makeup whenever possible instead of masks, which can obstruct a child’s vision.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- When selecting a costume, make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Get rid of any distractions – like your phone – in your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Turn your headlights on earlier in the day to spot children from greater distances.
- Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Be especially alert for kids during those hours.
The bottom line is for everyone to pay attention to their surroundings and be on the lookout for each other. That way we can make this a safe time of year for everyone.
Looking to find the perfect home in Albuquerque? Let us help you find the perfect home in Albuquerque. And make sure to join us twice a week on our blog for more great reasons to buy a home in Albuquerque and the surrounding area. Follow us on Facebook for the latest Albuquerque real estate updates.
HOT HOME LISTING OF THE WEEK!
3 Bedrooms / 3 Bathrooms (2 full, 1 half) / 2500 Square Feet
Southwest Style custom home on incredible 2 acre lot with stunning views. Exquisite tile & woodwork throughout. Well appointed kitchen with SS appliances, granite counters, large pantry and island. New Carpet in 2019, new Paint in bedrooms and entry 2017, Refrigerated air, raised ceilings, open floor plan, skylights and lighted niches make this home perfect for entertaining. Private master suite has private balcony access, double sinks w/jetted tub, separate shower and a huge walk-in closet. Backyard has covered patio, water feature, fire-pit and mature landscaping. Over-sized 3 car garage, water softener, central vac system, upgraded sinks and faucets, brand new septic in 2013, the list just goes on!
Contact the Sandi Pressley team for additional details!
Get your Morning Inspiration with the Sandi Pressley Team