The holidays are here and most of us here in Albuquerque are more excited than ever to enjoy the season, especially given how challenging this year has been. The last thing we would want is for anything bad to happen while celebrating this wonderful time. Tree fires are not the only safety concern. There are other potential hazards to be aware of.
Here are 10 items to give attention to during the holidays to make sure your family stays safe:
1. Check all holiday light cords to make sure they aren’t frayed or broken. Don’t string too many strands of lights together—no more than three per extension cord.
2. If are buying an artificial tree, look for the fire-resistant label. When putting it up, keep it away from fireplaces, radiators and other sources of heat.
3. If getting a live tree, make sure it’s fresh and water it to keep it fresh. Bend the needles up and down to make sure no needles fall off.
4. If using older decorations, check their labels. Some older tinsel is lead-based. If using angel hair, wear gloves to avoid irritation. Avoid breathing in artificial snow.
5. When decorating outside, make sure decorations are for outdoor use and fasten lights securely to your home or trees. If using hooks or nails outside, make sure they are insulated to avoid an electrocution or fire hazard.
6. If using a ladder, be extra careful. Make sure to have good, stable placement and wear shoes that allow for good traction.
7. Don’t use electric lights on metallic trees.
8. Don’t forget to turn off all holiday lights when going to bed or leaving the house.
9. Keep children, pets and decorations away from candles.
10. If hanging stockings on the fireplace mantel, don’t light the fireplace.
Have a safe and happy holiday season!
Contact us today to help you buy or sell your next home in Albuquerque. Looking for the perfect home for sale in Albuquerque? Our easy-to-use home search tool can help you start the process. Join us twice a week on our blog for more real estate advice and great reasons to buy a home in Albuquerque and the surrounding area. Follow us on Facebook for the latest Albuquerque real estate updates.
HOT HOME LISTING OF THE WEEK!
5 Bedrooms / 3 Bathrooms (2 full, 1 half) / 3334 Square Feet
INCREDIBLE OUTDOOR LIVING! ACROSS FROM THE PARK! HUGE CORNER LOT! NEW CARPET!! Gorgeous 5BDR/3BA/3CG with so many upgrades! ONE BDR/BATH on the main level! LOFT! Refrigerated Air! Tankless water heater! Huge great room open to the kitchen featuring tile flooring, cozy fireplace & wall of sliding doors provides lots of natural light! Beautiful wrought iron stairway! Beautiful kitchen features upgraded cabinetry with crown molding, granite countertops, SS appliances, gas cooktop, double wall oven, entertainment island & bkfst bar & large walk-in pantry. Formal dining room. Private master suite features dual sink vanity, sep shower, garden tub, two walk-in closets. Incredible outdoor living space with covered & open patios to entertain family & friends, trees, shrubs, & Synlawn!
Contact the Sandi Pressley team for additional details!
Get your Morning Inspiration with the Sandi Pressley Team